Pursuant to subclause 3.4(1) of Land Transport Rule: Traffic Control Devices 2004 (“Rule”) and a delegation from the Waka Kotahi, the NZ Transport Agency, I, Chris Rodley Manager Policy, Operational Policy, Standards and Network, authorise the installation and maintenance of School 30km/h static variable speed limit signs:
- for the purpose described in Schedule 1;
- in the form and layout, set out in Schedule 2;
- at the locations stated in Schedule 3;
- for the period specified in Schedule 4; and
- subject to the conditions in Schedule 5.
The signs may be installed for the purpose of evaluating their use and the trial will be called the “School 30km/h static variable speed limit sign trial”.
Schedule 1—Purpose of Trial
The purpose of the trial is to:
- evaluate the effectiveness and safety of the school 30km/h static variable speed limit sign.
- assess the effect on drivers’ behaviour and reaction to the sign.
Schedule 2—Form and Layout of Signs
The signs must conform to the following descriptions:
|R1-6.2 School static variable speed|
|Highest speed limit is the number of km/h shown on the sign that applies to a school frontage during the times specified (must only be used on roads with mean speeds below 30km/h)|
|Shape and Size:||Rectangle 900x1200mm above a W16-5.1 “School” supplementary sign [900mm x 300mm]|
|Border:||Red (R) 30mm|
|R1-1 above||as for R1-1||as for R1-1|
|“8:25 – 9 AM”||Black||80/12.4|
|“2:55 – 3:15 PM”||Black||80/12.4|
Note: The dimensions, descriptions and terms used to describe the signs in this notice conform with the opening notes in Schedule 1 of the Rule.
Example: School static variable speed limit sign combination
The locations approved for this trial are:
|Road Controlling Authority||School||Road||School Static VSL length|
|Hamilton City Council||Rhodes Street School||Rhodes Street||315m|
|Te Totara Primary School||Hector Drive||300m|
|Hamilton West School||Hammond Street||150m|
|Queenstown-Lakes District Council||Kingsview Primary School||Yewlett Crescent||130m|
|Remarkables Primary School||Lake Avenue||290m|
|St Joseph’s Primary School||Hallenstein Street||235m|
|Shotover Primary School||Jones Avenue||270m|
|Stone Wall Terrace||10m|
|Wakatipu High School||Red Oaks Drive||245m|
|Golden Elm Lane||30m|
|Wanaka Primary School||Kings Drive||395m|
Schedule 4—Period of Trial
The trial may begin after the publication of this notice and, unless terminated earlier, must end by 30 August 2022.
Schedule 5—Conditions and Evaluation
The variable speed limit at a location listed in Schedule 3 must be set in accordance with Land Transport Rule: Setting of Speed Limits 2017 and the “Hamilton and Queenstown Lakes 30km/h Schools Variable Speed Limits” notice published in the New Zealand Gazette, 17 January 2022, Notice No. 2022-au141.
- At least one “school static variable speed limit” sign combination, described in Schedule 2 of this notice, must be installed on each approach to the variable speed limit on the main road outside a school listed in Schedule 3 and on each approach on a side road that intersects with the variable speed limit.
- R1-1 signs that comply with Land Transport Rule: Traffic Control Devices 2004 must be installed at the end of the variable speed limit on every road that leaves the variable speed limit.
- An evaluation and analysis shall be undertaken as outlined in the “School 30km/h Static Variable Sign Trial Notes” document received from Abley Limited, dated 9 July 2021.
- Tube counts need to be collected approximately five months after the implementation of the signs. The counts must be taken in the same location as the pre-implementation tube counts.
- Abley Limited will analyse the speed data and report on findings.
- A final report evaluation report must be sent to the Manager Network Safety by 30 September 2022.
Signed at Auckland this 13th day of January 2022.
CHRIS RODLEY, Manager Policy, Operational Policy, Standards and Network, Waka Kotahi.