Pursuant to section 110 of the Education Act 1989, I hereby establish a combined Board of Trustees for Carlson School (523) and Sunnydene Special School (1517) (“two schools”), with effect from 10 June 2016.
Under section 95 of the Education Act 1989, I hereby approve the following composition for the Combined Board of Trustees of Carlson School and Sunnydene Special School:
Interim Composition of Combined Board
- On 10 June 2016, the composition of the first combined board will be the principal of each school, and the staff and parent representatives elected by their respective schools during the triennial elections on 3 June 2016;
- the term of office for the staff and parent representatives of this first combined board will end seven days after the triennial elections for boards of trustees in 2019; and
- if any casual vacancy occurs on the combined board before the triennial elections in 2019, that vacancy will be filled in accordance with the election process under the substantive composition of the combined board.
Substantive Composition of Combined Board
- The principal of each school;
- two staff representatives (one from each school); and
- six trustees elected by parents of students enrolled at the two schools (three trustees from each school – the parent representatives).
Three of the successful parent representatives must be nominated in respect of Carlson School.
Three of the successful parent representatives must be nominated in respect of Sunnydene Special School.
There will be a single election for parent representatives.
All parents of students enrolled at either of the two schools are eligible to vote. Each parent may vote for three parent representative candidates nominated in respect of Carlson School and three parent representative candidates nominated in respect of Sunnydene Special School (six votes in total). No more than the three highest polling candidates nominated in respect of each of the two schools will be elected to the combined board.
The first elections for the parent and staff representatives under the substantive composition of the Combined Board of Carlson School and Sunnydene Special School will be held during the triennial elections of the boards of trustees in 2019.
The Parent Representatives will be elected in accordance with Part 9 of the Education Act 1989 with necessary modifications to the election process to reflect the specific requirements regarding nomination, election and voter eligibility.
Except as set out in this constitution, all provisions of the Education Act 1989, and any enactments made under it regarding eligibility, casual vacancies, appointments, terms of office and elections, apply to the board.
Under section 95 of the Education Act 1989, I revoke the notice published in the New Zealand Gazette, 22 August 2002, No. 114, page 3049 and the notice published in the New Zealand Gazette, 10 October 2002, No. 150, page 3899, with effect on 10 June 2016. All current elected trustees will remain in office until the date that the newly elected trustees take office following the first election under this constitution.
This notice takes effect on the date of its publication for the purposes of section 110(2) of the Education Act 1989.
Dated at Wellington this 12th day of May 2016.
Hon HEKIA PARATA, Minister of Education.