Under the Reserves Act 1977 the Minister of Conservation vests the reserve, described in the Schedule (“Reserve”), in Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu, in trust for recreation purposes, subject to the following conditions:
- A right of way easement is granted by Te Rūnanga over the area identified as “A” on SO 23901, allowing for unrestricted access by the Crown, concessionaires and members of the public, including vehicular access at all times; and
- Funds received by Te Rūnanga in its capacity as the administering body of the Reserve, are to be administered and applied in accordance with the requirements of the Reserves Act 1977. Pursuant to section 84 of the Reserves Act 1977, the Minister of Conservation authorises funds to be expended for the purposes of managing, administering, maintaining, protecting, improving and developing the following reserves in addition to the Morning Star Beach Recreation Reserve:
- Oxenbridge Tunnel Recreation Reserve:
- Arthurs Point Gorge Scenic Reserve;
- Tuckers Beach Recreation Reserve;
- Tuckers Beach Wildlife Management Reserve;
- Such other reserves or land within the Shotover Catchment as may be approved by the Minister of Conservation from time-to-time in accordance with section 84 and/or section 85 of the Reserves Act 1977; and
- Revenue from the Reserve is to be expended for the benefit of the public, not for the benefit of any lessee or licensee or on the improvement or replacement of buildings owned by any lessee or licensee; and
- A management plan for the Reserve is to be implemented within 2 years from the date the reserve is vested in Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu; and
- The vesting is subject to retention of any ancillary structures and/or facilities authorised by 3rd party concessions in force at the date of this notice; and
- In addition to submitting annual financial statements to the Auditor-General in accordance with section 88 of the Reserves Act 1977, Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu shall make them available to any member of the public that request them; and
- The rent for any lease of the vested part of the reserve shall be set as follows:
- the rent shall be a market rate and, in any event, shall be no less than the “Starting Rent”.
- the market rate is to be assessed by an independent valuation, taking account of changes in the Consumer Price Index since the rent was last reviewed.
- the “Starting Rent” is the rent payable by Shotover Jet Limited as at 31 March 2023, adjusted for inflation from 31 March 2008 until the current date.
- the rent is to be reviewed every three years during the term of any lease (with the first review to occur by the 3rd anniversary of the date of any lease taking effect) and a new rent set at the then applicable market rate.
Otago Land District—Queenstown Lakes District
Section 5 Survey Office Plan 587344, (part New Zealand Gazette, 15 August 1991, No. 123, page 2665)
Dated at Northland this 12th day of October 2023.
Hon WILLOW-JEAN PRIME, Minister of Conservation.