The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries gives the following notice under sections 11 and 303 of the Fisheries Act 1996:
This notice is the Fisheries (SCA 1 Closure) Notice 2022 (No. 2).
This notice comes into force on 3 November 2022.
This notice revokes the Fisheries (SCA 1 Closure) Notice 2022 (MPI 1455) (New Zealand Gazette, 29 March 2022, Notice No. 2022-go1122).
4. Prohibition on Taking Scallops
(1) This notice applies to the taking of scallops from SCA 1.
(2) A person must not take scallops from SCA 1.
(3) This prohibition does not apply to the taking of scallops that have washed ashore.
(4) In this clause, SCA 1 means the Quota management area SCA 1 — Northland scallop fishery as defined in Part 3 of Schedule 1 of the Fisheries Act 1996.
Under section 228 of the Fisheries Act 1996, every person commits an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding $100,000 (as set out in section 252(5) of that Act) who contravenes, or fails to comply with, any sustainability measure implemented by notice in the New Zealand Gazette under section 11(4)(b)(i).
6. Customary Fishing
This notice does not restrict the taking of scallops taken in accordance with regulations 50–52 of the Fisheries (Amateur Fishing) Regulations 2013 or the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
Dated at Wellington this 27th day of October 2022.
Hon DAVID PARKER, Minister for Oceans and Fisheries.