Under section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996, the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries, after complying with the requirements of that section, gives the following notice.
This notice is the Fisheries (Te Mātā and Waipatukahu Temporary Closure) Notice 2022.
This notice comes into force on 10 July 2022.
3. Revocation of This Notice
This notice is revoked on the close of 9 July 2024.
4. Te Mātā and Waipatukahu Closed in Respect of Pipi, Cockles, Mussels and Oysters
(1) A person must not take pipi, cockles, mussels or oysters from the Te Mātā and Waipatukahu closure area while this notice is in force.
(2) In this clause,—
Te Mātā and Waipatukahu means all that area of New Zealand fisheries waters enclosed by a line:
- starting at a point on the mean high-water mark on the northern bank of the Ōtaki Creek mouth (at 36°57.743′S and 175°29.464′E); then
- proceeding in a straight line due west to a point 1 nautical mile offshore from the mean high-water mark (at 36°57.743′S and 175°28.205′E); then
- proceeding along a line in a generally southward direction, every point of which is 1 nautical from the mean high-water mark, to a point offshore (at 36°59.619′S and 175°28.857′E); then
- proceeding in a straight line due east to a point on the mean high-water mark on the southern bank of Diehard Stream mouth (at 36°59.619′S and 175°30.198′E); and then
- proceeding in a generally northerly direction along the mean high-water mark to the starting point.
cockles means a shellfish of the species Chione (Austrovenus) stutchburyi
mussels means a shellfish of the species Perna canaliculus (green-lipped mussel), Xenostrobus pulex (black mussel), Mytilus galloprovincialis (blue mussel), Hyridella menziesii (freshwater mussel), or Atrina zelandica (horse mussel)
oysters means a shellfish of the species Crassostrea gigas (Pacific oyster), Saccostrea glomerata (rock oyster), Ostrea chilensis (dredge oyster), or Tiostrea chilensis (formerly known as Ostrea lutaria and also known as dredge oyster)
pipi means a shellfish of the species Paphies australis.
Dated this 5th day of July 2022.
Hon KELVIN DAVIS, Acting Minister for Oceans and Fisheries.