Pursuant to section 47(1)(a) of the Moriori Claims Settlement Act 2021, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification by section 42 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to the overlay area are sections 42–55.
Pursuant to section 47(1)(b) of the Act the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister of Conservation; avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, Moriori values related to Mangere Island Nature Reserve:
- Protection of all wāhi tchap’ (refer to wāhi tchap’ plan) within Mangere Island Nature Reserve;
- recognition of and respect for Moriori manawa, tchiekitanga, and tikane at Mangere Island Nature Reserve;
- accurate portrayal of the association of Moriori with Mangere Island Nature Reserve;
- protection of indigenous flora and fauna at Mangere Island Nature Reserve;
- respect for the Moriori relationship with indigenous flora and fauna species including those species traditionally harvested or used at Mangere Island Nature Reserve, consistent with the existing statutory framework; and
- recognition of the relationship of Moriori with the wāhi tchap’ and miheke (treasures/archaeological evidence) at Mangere Island Nature Reserve.
Wellington Land District—Chatham Islands Council
as shown on Deed Plan OMCR-064-02.
Dated at Wellington this 16th day of March 2022.
Hon KIRI ALLAN, Minister of Conservation.