Pursuant to section 47(1)(a) of the Moriori Claims Settlement Act 2021, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification by section 42 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to the overlay area are sections 42–55.
Pursuant to section 47(1)(b) of the Act the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister of Conservation; avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, Moriori values related to Part Wharekauri site 100:
- Protection of all wāhi tchap’ (refer to wāhi tchap’ plan) within Part Wharekauri site 100;
- recognition of and respect for Moriori manawa, tchiekitanga, and tikane at Part Wharekauri site 100;
- accurate portrayal of the association of Moriori with Part Wharekauri site 100;
- protection of indigenous flora and fauna at Part Wharekauri site 100;
- respect for the Moriori relationship with indigenous flora and fauna species including those species traditionally harvested or used at Part Wharekauri site 100, consistent with the existing statutory framework; and
- recognition of the relationship of Moriori with the wāhi tchap’ and miheke (treasures/archaeological evidence) at Part Wharekauri site 100.
Wellington Land District—Chatham Islands Council
|37.9000||Section 1 SO 36538, Section 2 SO 36539, and Section 3 SO 36540.|
as shown on Deed Plan OMCR-064-03.
Dated at Wellington this 16th day of March 2022.
Hon KIRI ALLAN, Minister of Conservation.