Pursuant to regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director-General of the Ministry for Primary Industries gives the following notice.
This notice is the Fisheries (Notification of Kaitiaki for Moana a Toi Pātaka of Mai i Ngā Kuri a Whārei ki Tihirau Iwi Fisheries Forum) Notice 2022.
This notice comes into force on 15 December 2022.
3 Customary food gathering area/moana a toi pātaka
This notice applies to a customary food gathering area/moana a toi pātaka in the New Zealand fisheries waters within the following lines:
- starting from a point in the Bay of Plenty approximately 2 nautical miles offshore from Bowentown Heads at 37° 26.292′S 176° 01.066′E; then
- proceeding in a straight line in a northeasterly direction to a point approximately 24 nautical miles offshore at 36° 32.400′S 177° 03.575′E; then
- proceeding in a straight line in an easterly direction to a point at 36° 32.400′S 177° 41.835′E; then
- proceeding in a straight line in a southwesterly direction to a point at 36° 41.898′S 177° 30.910′E; then
- proceeding in a straight line in a southerly direction to a point approximately 2 nautical miles offshore from the Waipuna Stream at 37° 52.282′S 177° 30.910′E; then
- proceeding generally north-west following the 2 nautical miles offshore mark back to the starting point.
4 Tangata whenua
The tangata whenua of the area/moana a toi pātaka, with respect to these appointments, are represented by Mai i Ngā Kuri a Whārei ki Tihirau Iwi Fisheries Forum.
5 New Appointments
- The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries has appointed the following positions as tāngata kaitiaki/tiaki for the rohe moana/moana a toi pātaka:
- The Chairperson of the Mai I Nga Kuri a Whārei ki Tihirau Iwi Fisheries Forum; and
- The Deputy-Chair of the Mai I Nga Kuri a Whārei ki Tihirau Iwi Fisheries Forum.
- The appointments took effect on 22 November 2022.
Dated at Blenheim this 5th day of December 2022.
JUDITH MacDONALD, Director Fisheries and Aquaculture Treaty Partnerships, (acting under delegated authority).