In accordance with section 272ZG of the Building Act 2004, the Chief Executive of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) hereby gives notice of her intent to make the following Modular Component Manufacturer (MCM) Scheme Rules.
The purpose of the proposed rules is to align with the recent changes to the Building Act and supporting regulations, and to provide operational detail to support these changes. The proposed rules aim to deliver benefits that:
- allow for robust oversight by MBIE as scheme owner through registration requirements for accredited MCM certification bodies and certified modular component manufacturers;
- define audit and notification requirements for the MCM accreditation body;
- provide MCM certification bodies with detailed criteria to evaluate modular component manufacturers for certification, including risk assessment, audit and surveillance requirements;
- outline minimum requirements for manufacturing and design (if applicable) processes, policies and procedures for certified modular component manufacturers;
- clearly define the technical competencies required for MCM certification bodies and modular component manufacturers;
- support scheme participants through notification and required information criteria.
The proposed rules will take effect from 7 September 2022. Certification bodies can apply to the MCM accreditation body for accreditation to the scheme from this date. Once they are registered with MBIE, certification bodies can accept applications from modular component manufacturers for certification. Once certified, modular component manufacturers must be registered with MBIE before they can issue manufacturer certificates for the modular components within their scope of certification.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) seeks written submissions on proposed rules for the MCM scheme for modular component manufacturer certification.
Consultation will commence on 9 June 2022. Submissions must be made online or by email, post, or physical delivery by 5.00pm on 7 July 2022.
The consultation document, proposed scheme rules, and online submission form can be found at www.mbie.govt.nz/have-your-say
Email submissions must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “MCM scheme consultation 2022”.
Postal submissions must be addressed to: “MCM scheme consultation 2022”, Building System Performance, Building Resources and Markets, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, PO Box 1473, Wellington 6140.
Dated at Wellington this 9th day of June 2022.
CAROLYN TREMAIN, Chief Executive of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.