Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director-General of the Ministry for Primary Industries gives the following notice.
This notice is the Fisheries (Notification of Kaiwhakamarumaru (Tāngata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) for Area/Rohe Moana of Te Arawa Waka) Notice 2021.
This notice comes into force on 4 March 2021.
3. Mahinga Kai (Customary Food Gathering) Area/Rohe Moana
This notice applies to a mahinga kai (customary food gathering) area/rohe moana in the New Zealand fisheries waters within the following lines:
- Starting from near Wairakei at the north-western corner of Taylor’s Reserve in the Bay of Plenty at 37°42.844′S and 176°20.267′E; then
- Proceeding in a north-easterly direction in a straight line to a point 37°25.300′S and 176°40.700′E; then
- Proceeding in a south-easterly direction in a straight line to a point 37°29.800′S and 176°47.000′E; then
- Proceeding south in a straight line to a point intersecting the coast near Wahieroa (Walkers Beach–Thornton) at 37°53.771′S and 176°49.897′E; then
- Proceeding generally north-west along the mean high-water mark back to the starting point.
4. Tangata Whenua
The tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana are Ngāti Tuwharetoa mai Kawerau ki te Tai (Hāhuru, Umutahi, Oniao, and Tohiaoterangi Marae), Ngāti Rangitihi, Waitaha, Tapuika, Ngāti Whakaue ki Tai, Ngāti Whakahemo, Ngāti Makino, Uenukukopako, Tuhourangi, Ngāti Rangiwewehi, Ngāti Rangiteaorere, Ngāti Tahu/Ngāti Whaoa, Ngāti Tarawhai, and Ngāti Pikiao/Ngāti Rongomai.
5. New Appointments
(1) The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries has appointed the following people as Kaiwhakamarumaru (tāngata kaitiaki/tiaki) for the rohe moana:
- Jonathan Te Rire;
- Karlena Raerino;
- Gaylene McGarvey;
- Chris Clarke;
- Thomas Perenara;
- Henry Mason;
- Willie Emery;
- Elaine Tapsell;
- Laurence Tamati;
- Brett Newton; and
- Andy McRae.
(2) The appointments took effect on 14 February 2021.
Dated at Wellington this 26th day of February 2021.
EMMA TAYLOR, Director Fisheries Management (acting under delegated authority).