This direction applies to:
- all registered schools in any COVID-19 Alert Level 3 area providing education to students in years level 11 to 13;
- all registered schools in any COVID-19 Alert Level 3 area providing preparatory study, and conducting assessments and examinations for students in years 9 and 10;
- all registered schools in any COVID-19 Alert Level 2 area providing education to students in years 11 to 13 travelling from an Alert Level 3 area;
- all registered schools in any COVID-19 Alert Level 2 providing preparatory study, and conducting assessments and examinations for students in years 9 and 10 travelling from an Alert Level 3 area.
Under clause 3 of Schedule 25 to the Education and Training Act 2020 I direct the governing bodies of all registered schools to whom this direction applies to comply with the following requirements, as appropriate to the Alert Level in which the school is situated, from 26 October 2021:
- Students in years 11 to 13, and those students in years 9 and 10 to which this direction applies can attend school for on-site learning if the following conditions can be met:
- Appropriate physical distancing for all persons on site is observed as far as is reasonably practicable;
- Time outdoors is maximised, and group meetings indoors including assemblies and staff meetings are avoided;
- For examinations and assessments, desks are appropriately spaced to allow the necessary distance between all candidates and supervisors or invigilators, with 1.5 metres between desks in all directions;
- Rigorous hand washing and drying is adhered to and hand sanitiser is available at the entrance to classrooms;
- Students, teachers, and supervisors or invigilators are asked to go home if they are unwell;
- Physical distancing is maintained as far as reasonably practicable at entry and exit points at the school and in classrooms, halls, and other facilities and there is no congregation;
- Indoor spaces are well ventilated and aired;
- There is a plan in place to meet all applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements), such as the wearing of face coverings, contact tracing and cleaning and to meet any requirements for the conduct of external assessments communicated by NZQA.
- All workers, including all paid and unpaid persons performing a work or service on the school site must have satisfied all relevant COVID-19 Public Health Response Order requirements relating to border crossing, testing and vaccination, as applicable.
- The governing body of the school has caused to be sent to me in a form I have provided, an attestation that the above requirements can be met in the context of the Alert Level requirements that apply to that school.
- Every governing body of a registered school must ensure that their school complies with all applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Orders in all other respects.
I am satisfied that the making of this direction is reasonably necessary to manage adverse effects, mitigate the consequences and facilitate co-ordination of senior secondary education in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.
In this direction:
Alert Level 3 area has the same meaning as defined in the applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Order 2021.
Terms in this direction that are defined in the Education and Training Act 2020 have the same meanings defined in that Act.
Relationship to 23 October Direction
My previous directions made under the Education and Training Act 2020 dated 23 October 2021 to the registered schools to which this direction applies are revoked and replaced.
Dated this 24th day of October 2021.
IONA HOLSTED, Secretary for Education.