Under clause 3 of Schedule 25 to the Education and Training Act 2020 I direct the governing bodies of all registered schools in any Alert Level 2 area who will provide preparatory study and conduct external examinations and external assessments for students in year 9 to year 13 from Alert level 3 to comply with the following requirements from 26 October 2021:
- Students in years 9 to 13 in Alert level 3 must be learning from home unless the following conditions are met:
- In the opinion of the principal or professional leader (as the case may be) of the school it is necessary for certain students to prepare for and to conduct examinations or external assessments in person and on-site; and
- Where students physically attend school, the governing body of the school ensures that overall numbers of these students are kept as low as possible and;
- Appropriate physical distancing for all persons on site is observed as far as is reasonably practicable, and conforms with public health guidance;
- For examinations and assessments, desks are appropriately spaced to allow the necessary distance between all candidates and supervisors or invigilators, with 1.5 metres between desks in all directions;
- Rigorous hand washing and drying is adhered to and hand sanitiser is available at the entrance to classrooms;
- Students, teachers, and supervisors or invigilators are asked to go home if they are unwell;
- Indoor spaces are well ventilated and aired;
- Face coverings are strongly encouraged for students aged 12 and above;
- There is a plan in place to meet all applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) such as contact tracing and cleaning, and to meet any requirements for the conduct of external assessments communicated by NZQA.
- All workers, including all paid and unpaid persons performing a work or service on the school site must have satisfied all relevant COVID-19 Public Health Response Order requirements relating to border crossing, testing and vaccination, as applicable.
- The governing body of the school has caused to be sent to me in a form I have provided, an attestation that the above requirements can be met.
- Every governing body of a registered school must ensure that their school complies with all applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Orders in all other respects.
I am satisfied that the making of this direction is reasonably necessary to manage adverse effects, mitigate the consequences and facilitate co-ordination of senior secondary education in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.
In this direction:
Alert Level 3 area has the same meaning as defined in the applicable COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Level Requirements) Order 2021.
Terms in this direction that are defined in the Education and Training Act 2020 have the same meanings defined in that Act.
Dated this 23rd day of October 2021.
IONA HOLSTED, Secretary for Education.