Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director-General of the Ministry for Primary Industries gives the following notice.
This notice is the Fisheries (Notification of Tāngata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for Area/Rohe Moana of Ngāti Kahu, Parawhau, Ngāti Tu and Patuharakeke) Notice 2021.
This notice comes into force on 15 July 2021.
3. Customary Food Gathering Area/Rohe Moana
This notice applies to a customary food gathering area/rohe moana in the New Zealand fisheries waters within the following lines:
- Starting from Tokapiripiri at 35°47.121′S 174°33.048′E; then
- proceeding in an easterly direction in a straight line to a point 35°47.121′S 178°00.329′W; then
- proceeding in a generally southerly direction following the boundary of the EEZ to a point at 36°02.554′S 177°47.949′W; then
- proceeding in a westerly direction in a straight line to Paepae o Tū /Bream Tail at 36°02.554′S 174°34.847′E; then
- proceeding in a south-westerly direction to a point at 36°02.722′S 174°34.313′E; then
- proceeding in a generally northerly direction along the boundary of the Patuharake Rohe Moana (refer Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No.1) 2009 (No.F482) Notice Number 2009-go4000) to a point at 35°50.191′S 174°19.360′E; then
- following the mean high water mark around the west and northern coast of Whangarei Harbour and then back to the starting point.
The following area is excluded from the customary food gathering area/rohe moana:
- Starting from a point at 35°47.121′S 177°56.762′E; then
- proceeding in an easterly direction to a point at 35°47.121′S 178°04.916′E; then
- proceeding in a southerly direction to a point at 36°02.554′S 178°04.913′E; then
- proceeding in a westerly direction to a point at 36°02.554′S 177°56.763′E; then
- proceeding in a northerly direction back to the starting point.
4. Tangata Whenua
The tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana are Ngāti Kahu, Parawhau, Ngāti Tu and Patuharakeke.
5. New Appointments
(1) The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries has appointed the following people as tāngata kaitiaki/tiaki for the rohe moana:
- Riki Solomon;
- Hori Te Whare Kingi; and
- Opania George.
(2) The appointments took effect on 24 June 2021.
Dated at Wellington this 2nd day of July 2021.
JUDITH MacDONALD, Acting Director Fisheries and Aquaculture Treaty Partnerships, Ministry for Primary Industries (acting under delegated authority).