Pursuant to section 161D(1)(e) of the Climate Change Response Act 2002, I, The Honourable James Shaw, Minister of Climate Change, give the following notice.
1. Title and Commencement
(1) This notice may be cited as the Call for the Provision of Electricity-Related Contracts (Aluminium Smelting) Notice 2021.
(2) This notice takes effect from and including 15 June 2021.
(1) Unless the context otherwise requires:
Act means the Climate Change Response Act 2002.
Aluminium smelting has the meaning given to it in the Climate Change (Eligible Industrial Activities) Regulations 2010.
NZAS means the company registered as New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited.
Smelter means the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter owned and operated by NZAS, located at Tiwai Point near Invercargill.
3. Electricity-Related Contracts Required to be Provided
(1) New Zealand Aluminium Smelting must provide to the Ministry for the Environment, within 30 working days of the date of this notice, a copy of the following:
- The electricity contract, without redactions, dated 14 January 2021 between Meridian Energy Limited and NZAS; and
- any information or explanation of matters relevant to the agreement referred to in paragraph 3(1)(a) which will assist in a determination by the Minister of an allocative baseline for NZAS pursuant to the Act (for the avoidance of doubt, this information may be provided in summary form in a newly created document rather than providing all source documentation for the calculations).
Dated at Wellington this 6th day of June 2021.
Hon JAMES SHAW, Minister of Climate Change.