- Pursuant to section 57(3) of the Immigration Act 2009, I waive by special direction, the prescribed requirement under regulation 10(2)(e)(iii) of the Immigration (Visa, Entry Permission, and Related Matters) Regulations 2010 for certain applicants for a Recognised Seasonal Employer (RSE) Limited Visa (as outlined in paragraph B) to provide a Chest X-Ray certificate.
- Pursuant to section 57(5) of the Immigration Act 2009, the waiver of the application requirement to provide a Chest X-Ray certificate applies to persons who are:
- currently in New Zealand holding an Recognised Seasonal Employer Limited Visa; and
- applying for a further Recognised Seasonal Employer Limited Visa; and
- citizens of Samoa, Tonga or Vanuatu.
I am satisfied that the making of this special direction is reasonably necessary in the context of pressure on the horticulture and viticulture industries arising from COVID-19 border restrictions with lower numbers of RSE limited visa holders in New Zealand than previous seasons, and continued difficulties otherwise meeting labour requirements. Due to the often geographically isolated regions that RSE workers are located in, coordinating large volumes of workers to obtain Chest X-Rays from panel physician’s clinics may be difficult without negatively impacting applicants and the RSEs they work for. Waiving the requirement to provide a Chest X-Ray would also streamline the application process, which would facilitate the ability for RSE workers to be relocated to regions and employers where there is critical need, which is a key commitment of the RSE approved class of worker border exception.
This special direction expires on 30 September 2021 unless revoked earlier.
Dated this 26th day of April 2021.
Hon KRIS FAAFOI, Minister of Immigration.
The effect of this special direction is to streamline the application for a Recognised Seasonal Employer Limited visa for onshore Recognised Seasonal Limited visa holders who are from Samoa, Tonga or Vanuatu by waiving the prescribed application requirement of applying with a valid Chest X-Ray Certificate.