In accordance with section 11 of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority gives the following notice.
1. Title and Commencement
(1) This notice is the Electricity Industry (Exemption No. 309 (Mercury NZ Limited)) Exemption Notice 2021.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date it is notified in the New Zealand Gazette.
(1) Mercury NZLimited (“Mercury”) is exempted from complying with the obligation in clause 10.14(2)(b) of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (“Code”) to not treat load expected to exceed 9,000 kWh in any 12 month rolling period as unmetered load.
(2) This exemption applies only to installation control points (“ICPs”) 0000161894CK3EF, 0000161895CKFAA, 0001393839UN86B, 0000161897CKF2F, 0000190118TR62B, 0000161899CKCB4 and 0000161900CK406.
This exemption expires on the earlier of:
- the close of 17 June 2028;
- the date when Mercury is no longer recorded in the registry as being the trader for any of the seven ICPs; and
- the date when all seven of the ICP identifiers are metered.
- the date when all seven of the ICP identifiers are decommissioned in the registry
- The date of any single item of load within these seven ICP identifiers annual consumption exceeding 9,000 kWh p.a.
4. Reasons for Granting the Exemption
The reasons for granting this exemption are:
- Mercury would incur unreasonable costs to retrofit metering which would deliver no benefit to the consumer;
- reconciling as unmetered load will have no material impact on submission accuracy as the load is predictable and of a type approved by the Authority;
- the exemption will have no impact on any other participant or service provider and will not affect any other Code provision; and
- granting the requested exemption meets the requirements in section 11(2) of the Act.
Dated at Wellington this 16th day of June 2021.
For and on behalf of the Electricity Authority:
ALLAN DAWSON, Member, Electricity Authority.