Pursuant to Regulation 85 of the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010 (“Regulations”), I, Mark Wogan, Manager Energy Safety, WorkSafe New Zealand, give the following notice of exemption:
1. Short Title and Commencement
(1) This notice is the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations—Exemption for North American Gas Appliances Notice 2021.
(2) This exemption is to take effect on the next calendar day following the publication of this notice in the New Zealand Gazette.
Gas appliances that are certified to a standard identified in clause 4 of this notice are hereby exempt from the requirements of Regulation 54(3) of the Regulations, provided that the certification was obtained before the appliance was sold or offered for sale in New Zealand and they:
- are certified by one of the certification bodies identified in clause 3 of this notice; and
- meet all of the relevant conditions set out in clause 5 of this notice; and
- are not excluded under clause 6 of this notice.
3. Certification Bodies
The following bodies may certify gas appliances for the purposes of this notice:
- Canadian Standards Association:
- Underwriters Laboratories.
The applicable standards are as follows:
|Appliance Type||Applicable Standard|
|Gas clothes dryers||ANSI Z21.5.1-2017/CSA 7.1-2017
Gas clothes dryers, volume I, type 1 clothes dryers
|Gas-fired low-intensity infrared heaters||ANSI Z83.20-2016/CSA 2.34-2016
Gas-fired tubular and low-intensity infrared heaters
|Gas-fired low pressure steam and hot water boilers||ANSI Z21.13-2017/CSA 4.9-2017
Gas-fired low pressure steam and hot water boilers
|Gas-fired outdoor infrared patio heaters||ANSI Z83.26-2014/CSA 2.37-2014
Gas-fired outdoor infrared patio heaters or
CSA/ANSI Z83.26-20/CSA 2.37-2020
Gas-Fired Outdoor Infrared Patio Heaters
|Gas storage water heaters with input ratings above 75,000 BTU per hour||ANSI Z21.10.3-2017/CSA 4.3-2017
Gas-fired water heaters, volume III, storage water heaters with input ratings above 75,000 Btu per hour, circulating and instantaneous or
CSA/ANSI Z21.10.3-19/CSA 4.3-2019
Gas-fired water heaters, volume III, storage water heaters with input ratings above 75,000 Btu per hour, circulating and instantaneous
|Gas storage water heaters with input ratings of 75,000 BTU per hour or less||ANSI Z21.10.1-2017/CSA 4.1-2017
Gas water heaters, volume I, storage water heaters with input ratings of 75,000 BTU per hour or less or
CSA/ANSI Z21.10.1-19/CSA 4.1-2019
Gas Water Heaters, Volume I, Storage Water Heaters With Input Ratings of 75,000 BTU per hour or less
|Gas-fired unvented room heaters||CSA/ANSI Z21.11.2:19
Gas-fired room heaters, volume II, unvented room heaters
|Gas-fired waterless toilets||CSA CGA 5.2:71 (R2019)
Gas-Fired Waterless Toilets
|Gas food service equipment||ANSI Z83.11-2016/CSA 1.8-2016
Gas food service equipment
|Household cooking gas appliances||CSA/ANSI Z21.1-2018/CSA 1.1-2018
Household cooking gas appliances
|Outdoor cooking gas appliances||ANSI Z21.58-2018/CSA 1.6-2018
Outdoor cooking gas appliances
|Outdoor cooking specialty gas appliances||ANSI Z21.89-2017/CSA 1.18-2017
Outdoor cooking specialty gas appliances
|Outdoor decorative gas appliances||ANSI Z21.97-2017/CSA 2.41-2017
Outdoor decorative gas appliances
|Portable type gas camp stoves||ANSI Z21.72-2016/CSA 11.2-2016
Portable type gas camp stoves
|Portable type gas camp heaters||ANSI Z21.63-2014/CSA 11.3-2014
Portable type gas camp heaters or
CSA/ANSI Z21.63-19/CSA 11.3-2019
Portable Type Gas Camp Heaters
|Portable type gas camp lights||ANSI Z21.73-2017/CSA 11.1-2017
Portable type gas camp lights
|Vented gas fireplace heaters||ANSI Z21.88-2017/CSA 2.33-2017
Vented gas fireplace heaters
|Vented gas fireplaces||ANSI Z21.50:19/CSA 2.22:19
Vented decorative gas appliances
|Vented gas-fired space heating appliances||ANSI Z21.86-2016/CSA 2.32-2016
Vented gas-fired space heating appliances
The following conditions apply to appliances exempt under this notice:
- a gas appliance incorporating electrical equipment with a low voltage external supply must be tested for gas safety compliance using a supply of 230 volts, 50 Hz (nominal):
- an LPG appliance, other than an appliance for use with non-refillable cartridges, must be tested as follows:
- the tests specified in the compliance standard must be conducted with Test Gas D (butane); and
- combustion tests, and tests of burner operating characteristics, pilot operating characteristics, and ignition, must also be conducted with Test Gas E (propane) with no change whatever in burner equipment; or
- in the case of an outdoor cooking gas appliance or an outdoor cooking specialty gas appliance, tests for temperature hazards, heat resistance, flame abnormalities, including sooting, and tests in which CO ratios or concentrations are measured must be conducted with Test Gas D (butane) with no change whatever in burner equipment.
This notice does not apply to:
- any gas appliance operating with a valve cartridge which is horizontally integrated into the chassis of the appliance also called flat portable gas stove:
- any portable space heater not intended for connection to a cylinder, and intended for connection to a valve cartridge which is horizontally integrated into the chassis of the appliance:
- any mobile or portable, unflued heater that is designed for indoor use and operates on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) using an LPG gas cylinder that is self-contained within the heater, commonly known as a cabinet heater.
Unless revoked or amended earlier, this notice expires on 31 March 2022.
Signed at Wellington this 31st day of March 2021.
MARK WOGAN, Manager, Energy Safety, WorkSafe New Zealand.