In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic as defined, from 1 July 1997 up to and including 31 May 2003, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Lao People’s Democratic Republic – The geographic area of Laos includes the sovereign territory incorporated at independence in 1953. Laos is a landlocked country and its territory is defined by all relevant boundary agreements with neighbouring countries including: Thailand, Myanmar, China, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic will supersede the declaration made on 4 March 2010 by Hon Judith Collins, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service from 1 July 1997 to 2003 with the Laos Unexploded Ordnance Programme.
3. This declaration entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 14th day of October 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.