In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Republic of Namibia, as defined, from 1 September 1989 up to and including 31 March 1990, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Namibia – The geographic area of Namibia includes all of the sovereign territory that was incorporated on 21 March 1990. This territory is defined by all the relevant boundary agreements with neighbouring countries including: Zambia, Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. The sovereign territory of Namibia also includes the 12nm territorial sea.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Republic of Namibia will supersede the declaration made on 4 March 2010 by Hon Judith Collins, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service from April 1989 to March 1990 with the United Nations Transition Assistance Group in Namibia.
3. This declaration entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 14th day of October 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.