In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Republic of Mozambique as defined, from 1 February 1994 up to and including 30 June 2005, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Mozambique – The geographic area of Mozambique includes all of the sovereign territory that was incorporated at independence on 25 June 1975. This territory is defined by all relevant boundary agreements with neighbouring countries including: Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, South Africa, and Swaziland. The sovereign territory of Mozambique also includes the 12nm territorial sea.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Republic of Mozambique will supersede the declaration made on 4 March 2010 by Hon Judith Collins, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service from December 1992 to 30 June 1995 with the:
- Mozambique Accelerated Demining Programme
- United Nations Operations in Mozambique
3. This declaration entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 14th day of October 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.