In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare that the declaration of operational service in the Indian Ocean from 21 June 1982 up to and including 20 September 1983 aboard HMNZS Canterbury or HMNZS Waikato, while under the operational command of Royal Navy Task Group 321.1. made on 18 August 2020 will supersede the declaration made on 4 March 2010 by Hon Judith Collins, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service from 21 June 1982 up to and including 20 September 1983 with Operation Armilla.
2. This declaration entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
3. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
4. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 14th day of October 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.