In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- In the Republic of Mali and the wider G5 Sahel Region as defined, from 15 July 2020 up to and including 31 December 2020, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Mali – The geographic area of Mali includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated into the Republic of Mali on 22 September 1960. This is defined by all recognised agreements including relevant intra-colonial French administrative arrangements and any post-independence agreements.
Wider G5 Sahel region – the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, the Republic of Niger, the People’s Republic of Burkina, and the Republic of Chad.
2. This entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
3. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
4. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 18th day of August 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.