In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- In the Republic of Mali as defined, from 1 March 2018 up to and including 31 March 2019, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Mali – The geographic area of Mali includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated into the Republic of Mali on 22 September 1960. This is defined by all recognised agreements including relevant intra-colonial French administrative arrangements and any post-independence agreements.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Republic of Mali will supersede the declaration made by you on 28 April 2018, for service within the territorial limits of the Republic of Mali and the airspace above it on or after 1 March 2018 until declared otherwise.
3. This entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 18th day of August 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.