In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- In the Republic of South Sudan and the airspace above it, from 9 July 2011 up to and including 30 June 2022, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
2. I declare service in the Republic of South Sudan will supersede the declaration made on 10 November 2016 by Hon Craig Foss, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service in the Republic of South Sudan and the airspace above it on or after 9 July 2011 until declared otherwise.
3. This entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 18th day of August 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.