In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- In the Kingdom of Cambodia as defined, from 1 October 1991 up to and including 30 April 2005, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act
Kingdom of Cambodia – The geographic area of Cambodia includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated at independence on 9 November 1953. The boundary with Thailand to the north and west is defined by pre-independence agreements between France and Siam (Thailand) including the 1904 and 1907 delimitation treaties, the 1962 and 2013 judgments of the International Court of Justice, and all subsequent agreements. The boundaries with neighbouring Vietnam and Laos are defined by the pre-independence French Indochinese administrative arrangements and all recognised post-independence agreements. The geographic area of Cambodia includes the 12nm territorial sea area extending seaward from defined baselines in accordance with the Decree of the Council of State of 13 July 1982.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Kingdom of Cambodia will supersede the declaration made on 4 March 2010 by Hon Judith Collins, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service with the:
- United Nations Advance Mission in Cambodia (October 1991 to March 1992);
- United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (February 1992 to September 1993);
- United Nations Military Liaison Team in Cambodia (November 1993 to May 1994) and the Cambodian Mine Action Centre and Mine Clearance Training Unit (December 1991 to April 2005).
3. This entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 18th day of August 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.