In accordance with section 15 of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- In the Syrian Arab Republic, the airspace above it and its territorial waters, from 1 January 1974 up to and including 30 September 2022, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
2. I declare service in the Syrian Arab Republic will supersede the declaration made on 1 December 2016 by Hon Craig Foss, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs, for service with the United Nations in the Syrian Arab Republic and the airspace above it on or after 1 January 1974 until declared otherwise.
3. This entitles any member of the New Zealand Defence Force covered by this declaration (and their spouse, civil union partner or de facto partner) to have their remains buried in the part of any cemetery set aside by a local authority for the burial of:
- members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service; and
- the spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners of members of Her Majesty’s Forces that have undertaken operational service.
4. Members of other Commonwealth Forces who have undertaken the same operational service and their spouses, civil union partners, and de facto partners may also be interred.
5. As required by the Act, consultation occurred prior to the making of this declaration.
Dated this 18th day of August 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.