In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Republic of Mali and the wider G5 Sahel Region as defined, from 15 July 2020 up to and including 31 December 2020, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Mali – The geographic area of Mali includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated into the Republic of Mali on 22 September 1960. This is defined by all recognised agreements including relevant intra-colonial French administrative arrangements and any post-independence agreements.
Wider G5 Sahel region – the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, the Republic of Niger, the People’s Republic of Burkina, and the Republic of Chad.
2. This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF;
- members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and
- any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
3. The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
4. I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 24th day of July 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.