In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Kingdom of Cambodia as defined, from 1 October 1991 up to and including 30 April 2005, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Kingdom of Cambodia – The geographic area of Cambodia includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated at independence on 9 November 1953. The boundary with Thailand to the north and west is defined by pre-independence agreements between France and Siam (Thailand) including the 1904 and 1907 delimitation treaties, the 1962 and 2013 judgments of the International Court of Justice, and all subsequent agreements. The boundaries with neighbouring Vietnam and Laos are defined by the pre-independence French Indochinese administrative arrangements and all recognised post-independence agreements. The geographic area of Cambodia includes the 12nm territorial sea area extending seaward from defined baselines in accordance with the Decree of the Council of State of 13 July 1982.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Kingdom of Cambodia will supersede the declarations made under the War Pensions Act 1954 for service with the:
- United Nations Advance Mission in Cambodia (UNAMIC) from 1 October 1991 to 31 March 1992; Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) from 1 December 1991 to 3 November 1993; Mine Clearance Training Unit (MCTU) from 1 December 1991 to 3 November 1993; United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNTAC) from 1 February 1992 to 30 September 1993.
3. This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF; members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
4. The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
5. I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 30th day of June 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.