In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service in the Federal Republic of Somalia as defined, during the following periods to be operational service for the purposes of the Act:
- from 1 January 1993 up to and including 31 March 1995; and from 1 September 2011 up to and including 30 April 2016.
Federal Republic of Somalia – The geographic area of Somalia includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated in the 1 July 1960 Somalia Act of Union combining the areas of the former Italian Somaliland and British Somaliland (including the area of Jubaland in southwest Somalia). The territory of Somalia is defined by the all recognised boundary agreements and arrangements with neighbouring Ethiopia, including the provisional administration line established by the 1908 Italian-Ethiopia Treaty, and the 1935 and 1955 British-Ethiopian agreements; with Djibouti, including the 1888 Anglo-French Exchange of Notes; and with Kenya including the 1933 Anglo-Italian Exchange of Notes. The geographic area of Somalia includes the maritime area extending 12nm seaward from the low water line as territorial sea under customary international law.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Federal Republic of Somalia will supersede the declarations made under the War Pensions Act 1954 for service with the:
- United Nations Operations in Somalia I (UNOSOM I) from 1 January 1993 to 31 March 1995; United Nations Operations in Somalia II (UNOSOM II) from 1 January 1993 to 31 March 1995; and United Task Force (UNITAF) from 1 January 1993 to 31 March 1995.
3. This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF; members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
4. The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
5. I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 30th day of June 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.