In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Republic of Angola as defined, from 1 July 1991 up to and including 30 June 1999, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Angola – The geographic area of Angola includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated from the former Portuguese claimed-territory of Angola (including the area of Cabinda Province) at independence on 11 November 1975. This territory is defined by all recognised boundary agreements with neighbouring states such as: with Namibia, including the 1926 and 1931 Portuguese-South Africa agreements as well as subsequent technical agreements; with Zambia, including the 1924, 1954 and 1964 Anglo-Portuguese agreements; with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (including Cabinda) as defined by recognised agreements including the 1885, 1891 Congolese-Portuguese conventions and the 1913 and 1925 Belgian-Portuguese protocols for Cabinda; and with the Republic of Congo (including Cabinda) including the 1886 and 1901 Franco-Portuguese agreements. The geographic area of Angola also includes the 12nm territorial sea extending from baselines as defined in the Decree-Law No. 47,777 of 21 June 1967 and in accordance with Law No. 21/92 of 28 Aug 1992.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Republic of Angola will supersede the declaration made under the War Pensions Act 1954 for service with the:
- United Nations Verification Missions in Angola II (UNAVEM II) from 1 July 1991 to 30 June 1999; United Nations Verification Missions in Angola III (UNAVEM III) from 1 July 1991 to 30 June 1999; United Nations Observer Mission in Angola (MONUA) from 1 July 1991 to 30 June 1999; National Institute for the Removal of Obstacles and Explosive Ordnance in Angola (INAROEE) from 1 July 1991 to 30 June 1999.
3. This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF; members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
4. The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
5. I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 30th day of June 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.