In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Republic of Sierra Leone as defined, from 1 August 1998 up to and including 30 June 2005, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Republic of Sierra Leone –The geographic area of Sierra Leone includes all of the sovereign territory incorporated at independence on 27 April 1961 and all subsequent, recognised agreements. The territory of Sierra Leone is defined by recognised boundary agreements with neighbouring Guinea including pre-independence Anglo-French agreements from 1882 to 1913, as well as with neighbouring Liberia including pre-independence Anglo-Liberian agreements of 1885, 1911, 1917 and 1930. The geographic area of Sierra Leone also includes the 12nm territorial sea extending seaward from the low water line of all relevant islands and coastlines in accordance with The Maritime Zones (Establishment) Decree of 1996.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Republic of Sierra Leone will supersede the declaration made under the War Pensions Act 1954 for service as part of:
- the United Nations Observers’ Mission in Sierra Leone (UNOMSIL) from 11 August 1998 to 31 October 1999, and the United Nations Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL), from 1 November 1999 to the present day.
3. This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF; members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
4. The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
5. I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 30th day of June 2020.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.