In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
1. I declare service:
- in the Sinai Peninsula of the Arab Republic of Egypt as defined, from 25 April 1982 up to and including 30 September 2022, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Sinai Peninsula – The Sinai Peninsula of the Arab Republic of Egypt is a triangle-shaped peninsula, defined by the boundaries of the Mediterranean Sea to the North, the Red Sea to the south, the Gulf of Suez to the west, and the Gulf of Aqaba in the southeast. Its land borders with the Suez Canal to the west and the Israeli-Egyptian border to the northeast. This declaration covers all sovereign territories defined in NZDF operational orders for the Multinational Force & Observers.
2. I declare that the declaration for service in the Sinai Peninsula of the Arab Republic of Egypt will supersede the declaration made under the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 for service in the Sinai Peninsula of the Arab Republic of Egypt, serving on the air space above it and the territorial waters of the Arab Republic of Egypt adjacent to the Sinai Peninsula on or after 1 December 2004 to be operational service for the purposes of the Act until declared otherwise.
3. This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF; members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
4. The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
5. I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that have and will undertake service in the Sinai Peninsula of the Arab Republic of Egypt.
Dated this 15th day of July 2020.
Rt Hon WINSTON PETERS, Minister of Foreign Affairs.