Pursuant to section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996, the Minister, after complying with the requirements of that section, gives the following notice.
This notice is the Fisheries (Umupuia Beach Temporary Closure) Notice 2020.
This notice comes into force on 19 December 2020.
3. Revocation of This Notice
This notice is revoked on the close of 18 December 2022.
4. Umupuia Beach Closed in Respect of Cockles for Two Years
(1) A person must not take cockles from Umupuia Beach while this notice is in force.
(2) In this clause,–
- means the shellfish of the species Chione (Austrovenus) stutchburyi
Umupuia Beach means all those New Zealand fisheries waters enclosed by a line–
- commencing at a point on the mean high-water mark at Te Puea at the western end of the beach known as Umupuia Beach (at 36°53.774′S and 175°03.805′E); then
- proceeding in a straight line in a south-easterly direction to a point on the mean high-water mark at Whakakaiwhara Point (at 36°54.010′S and 175°05.910′E); then
- proceeding along the mean high-water mark to the point of commencement.
Dated at Wellington this 3rd day of December 2020.
Hon DAVID PARKER, Minister for Oceans and Fisheries.