Pursuant to clause 27 of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Levels 3 and 2) Order 2020 (“Order”), I, Dr Ashley Bloomfield, Director-General, Ministry of Health, hereby declare that the following persons are exempted from clause 23 of the Order:
Persons engaged or employed by the following entities (“Entities”):
- Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency, Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand (including the Aviation Security Service), Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited, Maritime New Zealand (including the Rescue Coordination Centre), KiwiRail Holdings Limited (including Interislander), Meteorological Service of New Zealand Limited, Transport Accident Investigation Commission and any entity or service providers contracted by these entities.
- Entities listed in Schedule 1 of the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002.
- Entities providing services related to the maintenance and ongoing operation of critical transport infrastructure where it is necessary to maintain public health and safety.
The exemption will begin at 6.00pm on 14 August 2020 and cease at the expiry of the Order.
This exemption only applies where the employees are travelling for work-related purposes that are:
- a function related to an activation of New Zealand’s National Security System; or
- a function necessary as part of a declaration of a State of Emergency under section 4 of the Civil Defence and Emergency Management Act 2002; or
- a required statutory or regulatory function of the Entities above.
The exemption is subject to the following conditions:
- Persons subject to this exemption may only travel into an alert level 3 area if the following measures are taken to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 spread:
- Record their movements, including the place of work travelled to, to support contact tracing;
- Ensure two metre distancing is maintained from other persons during work activity where practicable;
- Ensure appropriate public health measures are taken, including wearing face coverings and regularly using hand sanitiser;
- Where applicable, comply with the Health and Safety plan for the particular work activity.
Dated at Wellington this 14th day of August 2020.
Dr ASHLEY BLOOMFIELD, Director-General of Health.