Pursuant to section 9(1) of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008, I, The Honourable Eugenie Sage, Associate Minister for the Environment, acting under delegated authority, hereby declare the products described in the Schedule as priority products for the purposes of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008, on the date of publication hereof in the New Zealand Gazette.
All pneumatic (air-filled) tyres and solid tyres for use on:
- motorised vehicles (for cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, tractors, forklifts, aircraft and off-road vehicles);
- bicycles (manual or motorised); or
- non-motorised equipment.
2. Electrical and Electronic Products
- rechargeable batteries designed for use in electric or hybrid electric vehicles or household-scale and industrial renewable energy power systems, including but not limited to, lithium-ion batteries;
- other re-chargeable and non-rechargeable batteries, including lead-acid batteries used in vehicles or stationary power systems; or
- categories of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) defined in Annex II of European Directive 2012/19/EU.
3. Agrichemicals and Their Containers
All agrichemicals and their containers up to and including 1000 litres in size or equivalent packaging for dry goods that are used for:
- any horticulture, agricultural and livestock production, including veterinary medicines;
- industrial, utility, infrastructure and recreational pest and weed control;
- household pest and weed control operations; or
- similar activities conducted or contracted by local and central government authorities.
This includes but is not limited to all substances that require registration under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997, whether current or expired, and their containers (packaging), which are considered hazardous until they have been triple-rinsed.
4. Refrigerants and Other Synthetic Greenhouse Gases
- refrigerant gases (including SF6) used for heating, cooling and air conditioning that are ozone depleting substances for the purposes of the Ozone Layer Protection Act 1996 or synthetic greenhouse gases under the Climate Change Response Act 2002; or
- products containing these gases.
5. Farm Plastics
- plastic wrapping materials for silage or hay including, but not limited to, baleage wrap, hay bale netting, baling twine and covers for silage pits;
- plastic sacks for packaging agricultural and horticultural commodities including, but not limited to, fertiliser sacks, feed sacks and bulk tonne bags of polyethylene or woven polypropylene; or
- other plastic packaging and products used for agriculture and horticulture including, but not limited to, protective nets, reflective ground covers, and other plastic containers.
6. Plastic Packaging
All packaging used for consumer goods at retail or wholesale level (excluding beverage containers) made of plastic resin codes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7, singly or in combination with one or more of these plastics or any non-plastic material, and not refilled by the producer for retail sale or able to be refilled by the consumer at a retail establishment.
Dated at Wellington this 29th day of July 2020.
Hon EUGENIE SAGE, Associate Minister for the Environment.
Note: This notice replaces the notice published in the New Zealand Gazette, 29 July 2020, Notice No. 2020-go3343 due to an error.