Proposal to Provide for the Development and Operation of Commercial Film or Video Production Facilities in Christchurch District: Proposal to Exercise the Power Under Section 71 of the Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act 2016 to Amend the Canterbury Regional Policy Statement and the Christchurch District Plan
The Proposal applies to certain areas within Christchurch district.
Pursuant to section 68 of the Greater Christchurch Regeneration Act 2016 (“GCR Act”), the Associate Minister for Greater Christchurch Regeneration invites written comments on the Proposal to exercise her power under section 71 of the GCR Act to amend the Canterbury Regional Policy Statement and the Christchurch District Plan.
The amendments to the Canterbury Regional Policy Statement include:
- making express provision for commercial film or video production activities to occur in the Christchurch district both within and outside of the existing urban areas and greenfield priority areas identified in Map A;
- directing that commercial film or video production facilities are to be connected to reticulated water and wastewater systems (thus ensuring no unnecessary load on the District’s aquifers); and
- classifying commercial film or video production activities as activities that are not “noise sensitive” within the meaning of that term in the Canterbury Regional Policy Statement.
The amendments to the Christchurch District Plan include:
- amending the existing definition of “commercial film or video production” to clarify that it does not incorporate any residential component;
- inserting specific recognition for “commercial film or video production” activities within strategic objective 3.3.7;
- inserting specific policies supporting the development of commercial film or video production activities within the commercial, rural and industrial zones;
- making “commercial film or video production” activities permitted in the following zones:
- Commercial Mixed Use;
- Commercial Central City Mixed Use;
- Industrial General;
- Industrial Heavy;
- Industrial Park;
- Rural Urban Fringe;
- Rural Templeton;
- inserting a rule requiring new buildings and/or additions to existing buildings for sound stages, studios for filming and/or sound production for Commercial film or video production to be insulated from aircraft noise where they are located within the 55 dB Ldn noise contour or the 55 dB Ldn engine testing contour shown on the planning maps;
- additional permitted activity standards in zones where these are required to ensure appropriate environmental outcomes.
The full Proposal may be viewed on the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s website at www.dpmc.govt.nz/film-studio and copies are available for viewing at Christchurch City Council service centres and libraries, and the main office of Selwyn and Waimakariri District Councils from Wednesday 8 July 2020, during normal business hours.
Written comments on the Proposal may be made to the Greater Christchurch Group of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet by no later than 5.00pm Wednesday 5 August 2020.
Written comments may be made online at: www.dpmc.govt.nz/film-studio or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to: Section 71 Proposal: Film studios, Freepost GCG, Greater Christchurch Group, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Private Bag 4999, Christchurch 8140.
Public written comments, including names and contacts details, may become public information. If you consider there are compelling reasons why your name and contact details and/or comments should be kept confidential, please outline this when making a written comment. Public written comments may be proactively released but if you have requested your name and contact details and/or comments be kept confidential, your reasons will be considered. However, if a request is made under the Official Information Act 1982, your information may legally be required to be released. You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information held about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong.
Dated this 7th day of July 2020.
Hon POTO WILLIAMS, Associate Minister for Greater Christchurch Regeneration.