In accordance with section 11 of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority gives the following notice.
1. Title and Commencement
(1) This notice is the Electricity Industry (Exemption No. 291 Future Energy New Zealand trading as Energy Club) Exemption Notice 2020.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date it is notified in the New Zealand Gazette.
(1) Future Energy New Zealand trading as Energy Club (“Energy Club”) is exempted from complying with the obligations in clause 15.37A and 15.38(1) of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (“Code”) to arrange for regular audits and hold certification in accordance with Schedule 15.1 of the Code.
This exemption expires on the earlier of:
- the close of 30 June 2022; and
- the date when on which, after this exemption comes into force, Energy Club is recorded in the registry as having responsibility for an installation control point.
4. Reasons for Granting the Exemption
The reasons for granting this exemption are:
- Energy Club has exited the market and it is financially unviable for it to be audited, or gain certification;
- it will be beneficial to the industry for Energy Club to continue to provide submission information to avoid the reconciliation manager needing to use estimation;
- the previous audit of Energy Club, completed in October 2019, showed no material issues for the remaining areas of obligation;
- should the Authority have concerns about the functions Energy Club is performing, clause 15.37C provides that the Authority may carry out an audit at any time;
- granting the exemption would have no significant effect on other participants;
- the Authority has approved two similar exemptions for participants exiting the market; and
- granting the requested exemption meets the requirements in section 11(2) of the Act.
Dated at Wellington this 28th day of October 2020.
For and on behalf of the Electricity Authority:
ALLAN DAWSON, Member, Electricity Authority.