Pursuant to clause 5.2(1) of the Land Transport Rule: Setting of Speed Limits 2017 and a delegation from the Waka Kotahi, NZ Transport Agency, I, Glenn Bunting, Manager Network Safety, approve a variable speed limit at Pahoia School in the Bay of Plenty as described in Schedule 1, in accordance with the conditions set out in this notice:
1. Variable Speed Limit
The Waka Kotahi (Transport Services Group) may set a variable speed limit at the School listed in Schedule 1, that is:
- 70km/h if the permanent speed limit on State Highway 2 Tauranga West Road from140m north of Pahoia Road to 365m south-east of Esdaile Road is 100km/h; or
- 60km/h if the permanent speed limit on State Highway 2 Tauranga West Road from140m north of Pahoia Road to 365m south-east of Esdaile Road is 80km/h
to manage the safety of all road users when vehicles are turning at the school, or when there is pedestrian or cycle activity on the road outside the school.
2. Length of Variable Speed Limit
At the locations described in Schedule 1 the variable speed limit on the main road on which the school is located must be a minimum length of 300 metres, unless this condition is impractical, but should not be longer than 500 metres. The length of the variable speed limit on side roads may be shorter than 300 metres.
3. Periods of Operation
The variable speed limit may operate for a maximum period of:
- 35 minutes before the start of school, until the start of school;
- 20 minutes at the end of school, beginning no earlier than 5 minutes before the end of school; and
- 10 minutes at any time when vehicles are entering or leaving the school grounds or there is pedestrian or cycle activity on the road outside the school.
Speed limit signs type R1-2.1, Option B, that comply with the Land Transport Rule: Traffic Control Devices 2004 must be installed to identify the section of road subject to the variable speed limit. When the variable speed limit is operating, the speed limit must be displayed on variable speed limit signs. When the variable speed limit is not operating, the variable signs must be blank.
The Waka Kotahi, Transport Services Group (as the Road Controlling Authority) must set the variable speed limit by making a bylaw in accordance with the Land Transport Rule: Setting of Speed Limits 2017.
|Road Controlling Authority||School||Road||Option||Variable Speed Limit|
|Waka Kotahi Transport Services Group||Pahoia School||SH2 Tauranga West Road from140m north of Pahoia Road to 365m south-east of Esdaile Road.||a.||70 km/h (permanent speed limit 100 km/h)|
|Waka Kotahi Transport Services Group||Pahoia School||SH2 Tauranga West Road from140m north of Pahoia Road to 365m south-east of Esdaile Road.||b.||60 km/h (permanent speed limit 80 km/h)|
Signed at Wellington this 8th day of October 2020.
GLENN BUNTING, Manager Network Safety, Waka Kotahi.
This notice replaces the reference to Pahoia School, State Highway 2 in line 15 of the Schedule published in the New Zealand Gazette, 6 June 2013, No. 72, page 1925 and revises the variable speed limit as specified in Schedule 1 of this notice.