In accordance with section 90(1)(b) of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority (“Authority”) gives the following notice.
1. Exemption— Julia Hoare (“Ms Hoare”) is exempted from compliance with sections 75, 77–79 and 88 of the Act, in relation to her appointment as a director of Meridian Energy Limited (“Meridian”) while Ms Hoare is also a director of Auckland International Airport Limited (AIAL).
2. Conditions—This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
- While Ms Hoare is a director of both AIAL and Meridian:
- Ms Hoare must not participate in any discussions or decision making by AIAL and/or Meridian regarding matters that relate to or could affect or favour the supply of electricity by Meridian (or disadvantage any other business selling electricity on AIAL’s network other than Meridian) on AIAL’s electricity distribution network or the provision of electricity lines services by AIAL to Meridian, including:
- the selection of, and any negotiation with, any electricity retailer for the supply, or intended supply, of electricity to AIAL and
- the supply, or intended supply, of electricity by Meridian to any new, or existing, consumer on AIAL’s electricity distribution network
- Ms Hoare shall not disclose the outcomes of any discussions or decision making by AIAL to Meridian (and vice versa) on those matters above
- Ms Hoare will confirm to the Authority, in writing, that the cross-directorship to which this exemption applies has ceased within one calendar month of it ceasing to exist
- This exemption is specific to the cross-involvements created through Ms Hoare’s directorships in both AIAL and Meridian. It does not extend to any other directorships, interest or future cross-involvement of Ms Hoare.
3. Commencement—This exemption comes into force on the date it is notified in the New Zealand Gazette.
Dated at Wellington this 20th day of August 2020.
For and on behalf of the Electricity Authority:
Dr THOMAS BRENT LAYTON, Chairperson.