Pursuant to section 54(1)(a) of the Ngāti Tūwharetoa Claims Settlement Act 2018, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification by section 49 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to the overlay area are sections 49–62.
Pursuant to section 54(1)(b) of the Act the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister of Conservation; avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, Ngāti Tūwharetoa values (and in particular, Ngāti Te Maunga values) related to Whenuakura:
1. He whenua tūpuna, he mana, he tapu, he mauri anō tōna (An ancestral land, with its own mana, tapu and mauri):
- protection of wāhi tūpuna, indigenous flora and fauna, traditional materials and resources, water and the wider environment within Whenuakura.
2. He tangata whenua: Ko te whenua he pou whakapapa, he pou herenga nā Ngāti Tūwharetoa i te ahi kā roa, te kaitiakitanga, te rangatiratanga (The people of the land: Whenuakura is a repository of whakapapa, connecting Ngāti Tūwharetoa with their ancestral fires, kaitiakitanga and rangatiratanga):
- recognition of the mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with regard to Whenuakura;
- respect for Ngāti Tūwharetoa tikanga and kaitiakitanga within Whenuakura;
- respect for the relationship of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with Whenuakura, and encouraging others to respect that relationship;
- accurate portrayal of the association of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with Whenuakura; and
- recognition of the interest of Ngāti Tūwharetoa in actively protecting native species within Whenuakura including, but not limited to, kererū and pikopiko.
3. Kua toro te mate, me whakaora rawa (the wellbeing of Whenuakura must be restored).
South Auckland Land District—Ruapehu and Taupo Districts
|3315||Part Hauhungaroa 2D2, Part Hauhungaroa 9, Hauhungaroa 10 and Hauhungaroa 11 as shown on Deed Plan OTS-575-36.|
Dated at Wellington this 8th day of March 2019.
Hon EUGENIE SAGE, Minister of Conservation.