Pursuant to section 54(1)(a) of the Ngāti Tūwharetoa Claims Settlement Act 2018, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification by section 49 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to the overlay area are sections 49–62.
Pursuant to section 54(1)(b) of the Act the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister of Conservation; avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, Ngāti Tūwharetoa values related to part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest):
1. He whenua tūpuna, he mana, he tapu, he mauri anō tōna (An ancestral land, with its own mana, tapu and mauri):
- protection of wāhi tūpuna, indigenous flora and fauna, traditional materials and resources, water and the wider environment within part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest).
2. He tangata whenua: Ko te whenua he pou whakapapa, he pou herenga nā Ngāti Tūwharetoa i te ahi kā roa, te kaitiakitanga, te rangatiratanga (The people of the land: The land is a repository of whakapapa, connecting Ngāti Tūwharetoa with their ancestral fires, kaitiakitanga and rangatiratanga):
- recognition of the mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with regard to part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest);
- respect for Ngāti Tūwharetoa tikanga and kaitiakitanga within part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest);
- respect for the relationship of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest), and encouraging others to respect that relationship;
- accurate portrayal of the association of Ngāti Tūwharetoa with part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest); and
- recognition of the interest of Ngāti Tūwharetoa in actively protecting native species within part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest) including, but not limited to, kereru and pikopiko.
3. Kua toro te mate, me whakaora rawa (the wellbeing of part Pureora Forest Park (within the area of interest) must be restored).
South Auckland Land District—Ruapehu and Taupo Districts
|23105||Part Tihoi 3B8B5B, Section 1 Block Marotiri Survey District, Section 5 and Part Section 3 Block V Marotiri Survey District, Part Pouakani B9A, Part Section 1 Block IV Hurakia Survey District, Part Section 1 Block VIII Hurakia Survey District, Section 1 Block XII Hurakia Survey District, Sections 1 and 2 Block XVI Hurakia Survey District, Part Maraeroa A2, Part Waihaha 1, Waihaha 2, Waihaha 3A, Part Hauhungaroa 2D2, Part Hauhungaroa 9, Section 1 Block III Puketapu Survey District, Section 1 Block IV Puketapu Survey District and Section 1 Block VII Puketapu Survey District.|
|2447||Section 1 and Part Section 2 Block XIV Puketapu Survey District, Parts Section 1 Block XV Puketapu Survey District and Part Section 4 Block III Maungaku Survey District.|
|as shown on Deed Plan OTS-575-35.|
Dated at Wellington this 8th day of March 2019.
Hon EUGENIE SAGE, Minister of Conservation.