In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
- I declare service:
- in the Former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia as defined, from 1 January 1992 up to and including 31 July 2019, to be operational service for the purposes of the Act.
Former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia – The geographic area of the Former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia includes the sovereign territories of the current independent countries of Slovenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Serbia and Macedonia (also known as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia), in accordance with the 1992 Opinions of the Badinter Arbitration Committee. The geographic area also includes all relevant islands of the respective countries within the Adriatic Sea inclusive of the waters around the islands that are enclosed by the baseline defined in the 12 May 1965 Law on the Coastal Sea, the Outer Belt and the Epicontinental Belt of Yugoslavia. The area also includes the declared territorial sea extending 10nm seaward from the baseline defined in 1965.
- I declare that the declaration for service in the Former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia will supersede the declarations made under the War Pensions Act 1954 for service as part of:
- the United Nations Protection Force (UNPROFOR) from 23 March 1992 to the present;
- Kosovo Force (KFOR) from 1 January 2002 to 31 December 2002;
- KOSMED in Kosovo from 1 January 1999 to 31 December 1999.
- This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF;
- members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and
- any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
- The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
- I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those who undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 25th day of July 2019.
Hon RON MARK, Minister for Veterans.