Pursuant to section 48(1)(a) of the Rangitāne Tū Mai Rā (Wairarapa Tamaki nui-ā-Rua) Claims Settlement Act 2017 (“Act”), the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification by section 43 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to overlay classification are sections 42–56 inclusive.
Pursuant to section 43 of the Act, the Crown acknowledges the statement by Rangitāne values in relation to Haukāpuapua Scenic Reserve. Rangitāne values means the statement by Rangitāne of the cultural, spiritual, historical, and traditional association of Rangitāne with Haukāpuapua Scenic Reserve, the text of which is set out in paragraph 3 of Part 1.2 of Schedule 1 of the Deed of Settlement.
Pursuant to section 48(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the following specific protection principles, which are set out in paragraph 4 of Part 1.2 of Schedule 1 of the Deed of Settlement, have been agreed by the trustees of the Rangitāne Trust and the Crown, and are directed at the Minister of Conservation avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, the Rangitāne values related to Haukōpuapua Scenic Reserve:
- protection of wāhi tapu, significant places, traditional materials and resources, flora and fauna, water and the wider environment of Haukōpuapua;
- recognition of Rangitāne mana, kaitiakitanga, tikanga/kawa over and within Haukōpuapua;
- respect for Rangitāne tikanga and kaitiakitanga within Haukōpuapua;
- encouragement of recognition and respect for the Rangitāne association with Haukōpuapua;
- accurate portrayal of the Rangitāne association and kaitiakitanga relationship with Haukōpuapua;
- respect for and recognition of the Rangitāne relationship with the wāhi tapu and wāhi whakahirahira; and
- recognition of the Rangitāne interest in actively protecting indigenous species within Haukōpuapua.
Wellington Land District—Tararua District
|80.9371||Section 97 Block I Makuri Survey District; shown on Deed Plan OTS-204-13.|
Dated at Wellington this 20th day of December 2017.
Hon EUGENIE SAGE, Minister of Conservation.