Pursuant to section 49(1)(a) of the Te Atiawa Claims Settlement Act 2016 (“Act”), the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification by section 44 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to the overlay classifications are sections 43–57.
Pursuant to section 49(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, Te Atiawa values related to Waitara Scenic Reserve:
- protection of indigenous flora and fauna, natural resources and the wider environment within Waitara Scenic Reserve;
- recognition of the mana and kaitakitaga of Te Atiawa within Waitara Scenic Reserve;
- respect for Te Atiawa tikanga and kawa within Waitara Scenic Reserve;
- respect for the interests and relationships that Te Atiawa have with Waitara Scenic Reserve;
- encouragement of the respect for the association of Te Atiawa with Waiatara Scenic Reserve;
- accurate portrayal of the association, interests and relationships of Te Atiawa with Waitara Scenic Reserve;
- recognition of the relationship of Te Atiawa with the wahi tapu and wahi whakahirahira;
- recognition of Te Atiawa mahinga kai and the provision of cultural resources;
- recognition of Te Atiawa relationship with and the importance to Te Atiawa of the ecosystems and life forms within Waitara Scenic Reserve; and
- recognition of and respect for nga tikanga o Te Atiawa and its relevance to the protection of Waitara Scenic Reserve.
Taranaki Land District—New Plymouth District
Waitara Scenic Reserve as shown on plan OTS-043-07, 2.3070ha, more or less, being Section 1 SO 13429. All Gazette notice 411501.2.
Dated at Wellington this 29th day of April 2018.
Hon EUGENIE SAGE, Minister of Conservation.
(DOC TWS 04-58)