- Pursuant to sections 146, 156 and 156AA of the Education Act 1989, I hereby establish in the Rotorua District a Years 1–13 co-educational state school called Te Wharekura o Ngāti Rongomai and designate the school as a designated character school.
- The school will open for instruction at the beginning of Term 1 2019.
- Te Wharekura o Ngāti Rongomai will operate as a level 1–2 immersion kura, in accordance with the following aims, purposes and objectives which will together constitute its designated character:
- Provision to cater for each child as an individual and to encourage each child to realise his/her full potential.
- Development of learners’ knowledge of Ngāti Rongomai and strengthening of relationships and connections with whānau, hapū and iwi.
- Retention of the aspirations of the kaumātua and kuia of Ngāti Rongomai and revitalisation of the customs and traditional knowledge of its hapū.
- Enhancement and maintenance of te mita/dialect of Te Arawa through a dedicated curriculum grounded in Ngāti Rongomai tikanga and mātauranga.
- The nurturing of descendants of Ngāti Rongomai in mind, body and spirit.
Constitution of the Board of Trustees
- The constitution of the board of trustees will be an alternative constitution in accordance with section 98A of the Education Act 1989.
This notice takes effect on the date of publication in the New Zealand Gazette.
Dated at Wellington this 26th day of July 2018.
CHRIS HIPKINS, Minister of Education.