Pursuant to sections 146 and 156AA of the Education Act 1989, I hereby give the following notice.
- This notice may be cited as the Vanguard Military School, Auckland, establishment notice.
- I hereby establish a Year 9–13 co-educational secondary school in Auckland to be known as Vanguard Military School, and designate the school as a designated character school.
- The school will open for instruction for Year 11–13 students only in Term 1, 2019 with Year 9 and 10 provision being introduced subject to the confirmation from the Education Review Office that the school is ready and the location of suitable premises.
- Vanguard Military School will operate the following aims, purposes and objectives which will together constitute its designated character:
- Vanguard Military School will operate as a Military School and will use the ethos and training methodology of the military across the curriculum and the day to day running of the school to achieve attitudinal and academic excellence.
- The school will use the ethos and training methodology of the military to develop young men and women from all over Auckland to become productive, responsible citizens of New Zealand. The school will strive for excellence in all tasks both academic and attitudinal, and will unlock the potential of each individual and create a positive pathway for their future.
- The school is being established primarily for students who require a second chance at education. Vanguard Military School offers cadets opportunities to improve themselves in this unique educational environment. The school will offer an education programme that promotes self-discipline, self-worth, pride in achievement, and that teaches integrity, honour, respect and leadership skills.
- Constitution of the Board of Trustees
- The constitution of the board of trustees will be an alternative constitution in accordance with section 98A of the Education Act 1989.
This notice takes effect on the date of publication in the New Zealand Gazette.
Dated this 8th day of May 2018.
CHRIS HIPKINS, Minister of Education.