- Under section 38(3)(b) of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority (“Authority”) gives notice of making the Electricity Industry Participation Code Amendment (Amendments to Certification Reports) 2017 (“amendment”).
- The amendment is made urgently under section 40 of the Act.
- The amendment comes into force on 12 January 2018.
- The amendment inserts a new clause 8A into Schedule 10.7 of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (“Code”) to enable an approved test house to amend a certification report for a metering installation or metering component in certain circumstances.
- The Authority considers it is desirable to make the amendment urgently because the amendment:
- removes an inefficient barrier to competition by increasing the likelihood that new entrant (and current) retailers will gain access to half hour (“HHR”) data that is compliant with the Code, without the need to incur costs developing and utilising validation analysis;
- increases efficiency by eliminating unnecessary metering installation recertification costs in situations where the accuracy of the meter is not compromised; and
- facilitates innovation by enabling new innovative products and services to be introduced to customers, who would otherwise be denied these due to not possessing Code-compliant HHR data.
- A copy of the amendment and the Code are available on the Authority’s website at: www.ea.govt.nz/act-code-regs/code-regs/.
- A copy of the amendment and the Code may also be inspected free of charge or purchased from the Electricity Authority, Level 7, ASB Bank Tower, 2 Hunter Street, Wellington.
Dated at Wellington this 21st day of December 2017.
THOMAS BRENT LAYTON, Chair, Electricity Authority.