Pursuant to section 49(1)(a) of the Ngāruahine Claims Settlement Act 2016 (“Act”), the Minister of Conservation (“Minister”) hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification known as Whāriki o Ngāruahine by section 44 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to Whāriki o Ngāruahine are sections 44–57.
Pursuant to section 49(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister hereby notifies that the following Protection Principles are directed at the Minister avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, Ngāruahine values related to the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip:
- protection of wāhi tapu, indigenous flora and fauna and the wider environment of the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip;
- recognition of the distinct Ngāruahine mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga within the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip;
- respect for the distinct Ngāruahine tikanga and kaitiakitanga within the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip;
- encouragement of recognition and respect for the particular association of Ngāruahine with the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip;
- accurate portrayal of the separate and distinct associations and kaitiakitanga relationship of Ngāruahine with the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip;
- respect for and recognition of the distinct relationship of Ngāruahine with the wāhi tapu and wāhi whakahirahira; and
- recognition of the interest of Ngāruahine in actively protecting species within the Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip.
Taranaki Land District—South Taranaki District
Oeo-Kaupokonui Marginal Strip as shown on OTS-023-09 (being Crown land (SO 406)).
Dated at Wellington this 23rd day of May 2017.
Hon MAGGIE BARRY, onzm, Minister of Conservation.