Pursuant to section 241 of the Land Transport Act 1998 (“Act”), I authorise the following persons, for the purposes and the term, and on the conditions stated below, to have access to the names and addresses of persons:
- who are currently registered in respect of a motor vehicle(s); and
- who have not instructed the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to withhold their details.
Persons: Members of New Zealand Institute of Professional Investigators Incorporated (NZIPI) who hold a private investigator licence and are authorised by the NZ Transport Agency.
- Preparing evidence related to criminal offences;
- the detection and investigation of suspected fraud;
- enforcing Court orders and judgments; and
- when acting as a contracted agent on behalf of government agencies with law enforcement functions, to assist in carrying out those functions.
Term: For a period of 5 years commencing on 10 November 2017 and ending at midnight on 9 November 2022.
private investigator licence means a licence issued under the Private Security Personnel and Private Investigators Act 2010.
- The personal information is accessed only by authorised NZIPI members on their own behalf and solely for their own use;
- the personal information is accessed only for the specified purposes;
- the fees charged for the provision of the personal information from the Motor Vehicle Register are duly paid;
- any identified instances of unauthorised access are immediately notified to the NZ Transport Agency and Privacy Commissioner;
- before being permitted to access the Motor Vehicle Register, under section 241, all staff must receive training that emphasises that such access must only be for the specified purposes, and refresher training also must be undertaken at appropriate intervals;
- access must be restricted solely to members of staff for whom authorised access is essential to achieving a specified purpose;
- the personal information obtained under this authorisation shall not be disclosed to any third party unless such disclosure is necessarily incidental to achieving a specified purpose;
- transaction records must be kept for a period of 12 months from the date on which an enquiry was made. Those records need to show date, plate number, and the purpose of accessing the information. Those records are to be provided to the NZ Transport Agency on request, to assist with any audit process;
- compliance with the terms and conditions, if any, imposed by the NZ Transport Agency for access to Motor Vehicle Register information;
- to access the Motor Vehicle Register, authorised NZIPI members must hold a private investigator licence;
- NZIPI must provide an annual report to the NZ Transport Agency on their members’ compliance with the conditions set out in this authorisation by 1 November each year beginning with 1 November 2018; and
- NZIPI must notify the NZ Transport Agency of membership changes when they occur and receive confirmation from the NZ Transport Agency that these new member(s) can be authorised.
Dated this 9th day of November 2017.
CHARLES RONALDSON, General Manager Customer Design and Delivery, NZ Transport Agency.