Pursuant to clause 6.1 of the Land Transport Rule: Setting of Speed Limits 2003, clause 4.4(4) of the Land Transport Rule: Traffic Control Devices 2004 and delegations from the NZ Transport Agency, I, Glenn Bunting, Network Manager, approve a rural intersection active warning system variable speed limit on State Highway 1, at the intersection with Designation Road (the construction access road to the Puhoi to Warkworth bypass, approximately 530m south of Perry Road), near Warkworth, in accordance with the conditions set out in this notice.
1. Variable speed limit—The NZ Transport Agency (Highways and Network Operations Group) may set a variable speed limit of 70km/h on State Highway 1, at the intersection with Designation Road, to manage the safety of traffic when vehicles are turning or merging at the intersection.
2. Operation of the variable speed limit—The variable speed limit, which must be displayed on variable speed limit signs, may operate when a vehicle is detected approaching the intersection on Designation Road or turning right on State Highway 1 and may continue to operate until those vehicles have cleared the intersection or merged with traffic on State Highway 1. When the variable speed limit is not operating, the variable speed limit signs must either display the permanent speed limit or be blank.
3. Signs—Speed limit signs that comply with the Land Transport Rule: Traffic Control Devices 2004 must be installed to identify the section of road subject to the variable speed limit as follows:
- Two R1-2.1, Option B “Variable speed” signs, one on each side of the road and each installed above a W11-4 intersection warning sign, at the beginning of the variable speed limit on State Highway 1, facing road users on each approach to the intersection with Designation Road; and
- R1-1 “Standard” or R1-1.1 “100km/h” signs at the end of the variable speed limit, facing road users on each road that leaves the intersection, to indicate the permanent speed limit that applies beyond that point.
4. Length of variable speed limit—The variable speed limit on State Highway 1 must be a minimum length of 300m, but must not be longer than 500m.
5. Bylaw—The NZ Transport Agency (Highways and Network Operations Group) must set the variable speed limit by making a bylaw in accordance with the Land Transport Rule: Setting of Speed Limits 2003.
Signed at Wellington this 29th day of May 2017.
GLENN BUNTING, Network Manager, NZ Transport Agency.